Whether you compete as a team or individually, come out on May 6th for the 4th annual bouldering competition to climb some of the finest granite boulders in North America!
With a team of three, climb as many routes as possible between 9am and 4pm and be sure to check out the bonus categories... Choose your own adventure!
If you compete individually, choose the beginner, intermediate, advanced, or youth category and send your projects! Your top 8 sends count toward your score.
A top score in any division earns you fame, glory, and prizes beyond your wildest dreams!
Entry Fee - Der Klettergarten:
The cost to participate is $45/team or $20/individual. This cost covers Rockfest Admission per participant. All entrance money will go to Leavenworth Mountain Association, to be used to protect the interests of climbers and the climbing areas we enjoy in North Central Washington.
- Teams must have three members. Gender is irrelevant. Male, female, and mixed gender teams are all welcome. All abilities are welcome, all routes count.
- Team V-scores are cumulative. Each team member must climb the same route to count the score from that problem.
- Check out these bonus categories which can give you many ways to gain additional points
- Longest approach to a boulder
- Climbing every problem on a boulder
- Climbing every route that features a photo of one of the following people in “Leavenworth Bouldering”: Cole Allen, Courtney Cusack, or Drew Schick… Good luck!!!
- Climbing every route with a name in the same theme as the boulder area (ex: pretty boy, pretty girl, pretty hate machine, pretty woman)
- Most total problems climbed
- The top 8 sends of your day count toward your score. In the case of a tie, the least number of falls will be used to determine a winner.
- Choose the appropriate division. There is no glory for sandbaggers. If you know you can climb 8 V3s, you belong in the intermediate category. If you can climb 8 V7 routes you belong in the advanced category.
-Beginner: V3 max
-Intermediate: V7 max
-Youth (under 18): open
- Men and Women will compete only against their own gender within each division. Girls and boys will also be scored separately within the youth division
How the competition works
- Register: You will need to register either as a team (have all three team member names ready) or an individual for the event. You can review the complete rules for each category here. You will we officially "signed up" when you pay for your entry in the competition. You are free to pay/register the day of the event but please arrive early if doing so.
- Check-in at the Leavenworth Mountain Association booth at Fromm's field on Saturday morning. Registration opens at 7:30 am, competition begins at 9 am. At check-in you will be given a scorecard and a copy of the rules. Bring at least one copy of Kelly Sheridan's book, Leavenworth Bouldering, as this will be the bible for allowed routes.
- Start Climbing and see what you can do using the above guidelines. Comp hours are from 9 am - 4 pm.
- Turn in your Scorecard. Turn in your scorecard at the Leavenworth Mountain Association booth at Fromm's field after 4 pm. Scores will be tallied from 4 to 6 pm and winners announced at 6 pm.
- Bask in glory: Individual "Advanced" winners will be crowned King and Queen of the Icicle, top three scorers in all divisions/genders as well as top three teams get great prizes.
WARNING! Climbing and bouldering are inherently dangerous activities. Serious injury or death may result from the physical demands of or falls sustained while climbing or bouldering. Individuals participating in Climbing Clinics, Campground Competitions, or Der Klettergarten assume all risks and accept full and complete responsibility for any damages or injury that may result from their participation.
This program takes place on US Forest Service lands under a commercial-outfitter and guide permit. The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) prohibits discrimination in all its programs & activities and is an equal opportunity provider and employer.