Welcome to Der Klettergarten.
*And the Game of Gnar (details at bottom of page)
Create a team of 3 and come out on May 5th for the 5th annual bouldering competition to climb some of the finest granite boulders in North America!
With a team of 3, climb as many routes as possible between 9am and 4pm. Choose the Beginner, Intermediate, or Open category!
A top score in any category earns you fame, glory, and prizes beyond your wildest dreams! But mainly Glory. Read below for details:
Entry Fee - Der Klettergarten:
The cost to participate is $40/team. All entrance money will go to Leavenworth Mountain Association, to be used to protect the interests of climbers and the climbing areas we enjoy in North Central Washington.
1. Teams must have three members. Gender is irrelevant. Male, female, and mixed gender teams are all welcome. All abilities are welcome, all routes count.
2. Team V-scores are cumulative. Each team member must climb the same route to count the score from that problem.
3. Choose the appropriate division. There is no glory for sandbaggers. If you know you can climb 8 V3s, you belong in the intermediate category.
· Beginner: V0-V3
· Intermediate: V3-V5
· Open: V5 and up
How the competition works
7-9am: Registration at LMA tent at Forestlands.
4-5pm: Submit scorecards to LMA tent at Tierra.
1. Register: You will need to register as a team (have all three team member names ready) for the event. You can review the complete rules for each category here. You will be officially "signed up" when you pay for your entry in the competition. You are free to pay/register the day of the event but please arrive early if doing so.
2. Check-in at the Leavenworth Mountain Association booth at Forestlands on Saturday morning. Registration opens at 7:00 am, competition begins at 9 am. At check-in you will be given a scorecard and a copy of the rules. Bring a copy of Kelly Sheridan's book, Leavenworth Bouldering, as this will be the bible for allowed routes.
3. Start Climbing and see what you can do using the above guidelines. Comp hours are from 9 am - 4 pm.
4. Turn in your Scorecard at the Leavenworth Mountain Association booth at Tierra after 4 pm. Scores will be tallied from 4 to 6 pm and winners announced at 6 pm.
5. Bask in glory: Top three teams in each category get awards.
1. Each team must have three members. Gender is irrelevant. Male, female, and mixed gender teams are all welcome.
2. Your team V score is a cumulative score based on problems that all three team members have sent. All team members must send the same problems and if it is a V2, for example, your team score will get two V points. V0 = .5 V points.
3. Choose the appropriate division. There is no glory for sand baggers- if you are sure you can send 8 V3s you should be in the intermediate category, not beginner.
4. Score climbing from 9am-4pm ONLY. Be honest about your score.
5. To keep things fair, only problems published in Kelly Sheridan’s “Central Washington Bouldering” and the new “Leavenworth Bouldering” guides are included in this event. If there is any conflict in V score on a particular problem, the new “Leavenworth Bouldering’ guide will be used. In the case of a / score the higher number will be used.
6. All problems can only be counted once towards your team’s V score. No lapping. Variations can be counted as a second problem if listed with a separate grade in the guide. The entire problem must be climbed each time.
7. Problems listed in the guide as “projects,” with no V rating, will not be counted. Sorry.
The Game of GNAR!!!
The Game of Gnar is a competition to see who is the biggest shredder not who can climb the hardest. This game is for everyone who likes to have fun at the crag. You can fill out points while sending with your team or by yourself. On a rope or with pads!
Check out some of the fun challenges to take on... you can pick up a scorecard with a full list of challenges at the LMA booth Saturday morning at the Forestland Parking Lot
+2 Boulder with a helmet on
+5 Climb with a crash pad on your back
+4 Post a picture on Instagram and tag @Leavenworth_Rockfest
+1 Grab a sandwich or fried chicken from Dan’s Food Market
+1 Grab a drink from Icicle Brewery or Dog House Brewery
+3 Jump in the Wenatchee River
+5 Call you mom mid-climb
+1 Give High Fives to everyone at the crag
WARNING! Climbing and bouldering are inherently dangerous activities. Serious injury or death may result from the physical demands of or falls sustained while climbing or bouldering. Individuals participating in Climbing Clinics, Campground Competitions, or Der Klettergarten assume all risks and accept full and complete responsibility for any damages or injury that may result from their participation.
This program takes place on US Forest Service lands under a commercial-outfitter and guide permit. The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) prohibits discrimination in all its programs & activities and is an equal opportunity provider and employer.